My 6th graders are working on scaling Barbie up to human size based on one assigned body part. It should be a 5-period (1 week) project.
Instructions for each group of 3 students — each group gets its own Barbie:
- Measure Barbie: as a class we chose to take 15 different body measurements on Barbie.
- Measure human: they can measure one person in the group or they can have my (teacher) measurements. I have done this lesson in last 8 years, kids actually liked to be measured. Same body parts as that of Barbie’s.
- Find ratio of human to Barbie for each body part.
- Each group is assigned a body part. Using the ratio of human:Barbie for that assigned body part, the group then multiplies this ratio by each of Barbie’s numbers from step 1.
- Draw out Barbie on butcher paper.